OOO
t

23/09/2009


my photo
o
HEMEROCALLIS
o
In my garden Hemerocallis, the Day Lily, is at its best in July. Positioned in a sunny position, it provides a daily succession of orange flowers; each single one withering by the end of the day.
o
The name Hemerocallis comes from the Greek words, day and beautiful.
oo
Many other types of plant have a second flush later on in the year. I wish this one did; it would sit perfectly alongside the Autumnal pink, copper and red colours of the Dahlia.
o

o
Illustration, 1885

o

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lovely autumny specimen, Louise. I like the subtleties of colour and textures you've caught in this closeup.

Rosezilla (Tracie Walker) said...

I love daylilies! I have some amaryllis, but that's all. They always bloom for Easter.

life in red shoes said...

You captured the color perfectly!

HAWTHORN HALL said...

You have captured the beauty of the lily perfectly. I have always admired botantical illustration - the older the better.

Gillian

renaissance said...

Gorgeous!

Simone said...

That's a lovely autumnal shade of orange. My climbing rose (compassion) is having a second flush of flowers at the moment.x

sheila said...

Ah! I LOVE those botanical illustrations. Gorgeous.

Lori at Jarvis House said...

Day Lilies are a staple the gardens of Long Island, NY, USA. There are societies and garden groups specializing just on Day Lilies. I did a blog about road side day lilies and have many pictures of other cultivated day lilies that I have purchased from L.I. growers over the years. Check out my posts on day lilies.

Suburbia said...

Wow so beautiful! You have captured the essence.

unfortunately I have had to make my blog invite only. If you still want to read my ramblings then please e mail me (address on my profile page) and I will send you an invite x

Thanks for your comments

elaine said...

I agree Louise...if only they would make an appearance now. xox