OOO
t

04/11/2009


my photo

NASTURTIUM

The nasturtiums are continuing to romp away happily, doing me a great favour this year by covering up two heaps of compost I plan to move in the Spring. These are the climbing variety, and their growth spreads further than most varieties of Nasturtium. Originally seeds potted up by me, they continue to self-seed in situ every year.

It looks like these plants have survived being decimated by the Small/Large White butterfly, but will be knocked back by our first frosts.

Wikipedia says, Nasturtium comes from the Latin nasus tortus, meaning twisted nose, in reference to the effect on the nasal passages of eating the plants.

It's amazing the funny facts you learn when you have a blog!

o

7 comments:

Lori at Jarvis House said...

And they look great trailing out of large front porch pots. They can last all Summer.

nikkipolani said...

Very pretty with those water droplets! I didn't know there was anything other than the trailing variety...

Pomona said...

Lovely nasturtiums - rather disappointingly I have never had any self-seed!

Pomona x

Glo said...

I like the idea of the nasturtiums romping happily :) Yes, blogging does seem to tempt the research gene,with fascinating findings! Lovely photo ~

Crafty Green Poet said...

How interesting to see where their name came from!

Flighty said...

Ny nasturtiums were doing brilliantly until recently when a couple of cold nights finished them off. I've collected plenty of seed and hope to grow lots next year! xx

elaine said...

hi Louise, I visited your blog today and as always found abundant beauty! I will have to come back later. I'm writing to tell you how much I love the gentle snow flakes! ... I really want to see more but duty calls. Thank-you for sharing all this beauty...and facts too. ~xox