OOO
t

28/06/2008


my photo

RASPBERRIES

So far a great year for soft fruit. My raspberry canes which my Dad gave me a couple of years ago are producing a lot of fruits for me. I must confess not a lot are making it to the kitchen but today being an exception. I have bought a tub of cream and meringues and I am going to make an Eton mess! Crushed meringues and raspberries, mixed into whipped cream.

According to Robin Weir in Recipes From The Dairy, Eton mess was served in the 1930s in the school's sock (tuck) shop, and was originally made with either strawberries or bananas mixed with ice cream or cream. Meringue was a later addition. Nowadays, Eton mess consists of pieces of crisp meringue, lightly whipped cream and strawberries, all stirred together - hence the name 'mess' - Heston Blumenthal

A raspberry is made up from a cluster of pips surrounded by fruit pulp, all held together by a central core, which forms the berry.

14 comments:

The Dutchess said...

OOOOOOOO,thats my favorite fruit next to strawberry's.I really would like to have raspberries in my garden.Have a great time making a mess....wishing you a wonderful whipped cream raspberry weekend!

Britt said...

mmmmm..... meloves rasberries!
you take such great photos!

life in red shoes said...

It sounds delicious, I'll be right over!

Anonymous said...

My favourite soft fruit, with blackberries a close second! I had the first raspberry off my canes on Thursday and it was delicious! xx

Suburbia said...

I love raspberries! Your photo shows some lucious ones. I am hopine to 'pick your own' on Monday for jam :)

Lavinia said...

Sweet / tart raspberries are sublime....Your photo bursts with berry goodness.

Little Blue Violet said...

How wonderful for you. The fruits of labor are the best. Your photo makes my mouth water!
smiles
DarLy*~

Simone said...

I haven't had one raspberry off my raspberry cane this year. The plums are coming along nicely though but I have gave up the strawberries to the slugs and snails!

Lynn said...

my favorite fruit by far.

Barbara said...

I picked my first raspberry yesterday, I do love them. Could do with a bit more sunshine here though.
Yours look yummy!

Anonymous said...

your raspberries look great. My cousin who lives in Australia visited last year and bought me some raspberry canes so i am looking forward to eating the fruit.
Sara from farmingfriends

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

My raspberries will be ready in about two weeks, I can't wait, they are my favorite. I make cobbler, pies, jam and a thin syrup which I love on pancakes.

ginny said...

our raspberries have done well this year and like you most do not get into the kitchen. I just send the girls out to pick them for desert. My husband, i have just discovered, eats his straight off the canes for breakfast... and i thought he was going out to water the garden!
ginny x

Heather said...

My boys and I only just learned what Eton mess is from watching a Jamie Oliver DVD. We have plans to have it too, our raspberries are only just ripening and E keeps eating them all - leaving none for making desserts. Will you post a picture of your Eton mess so we can see what it looks like? It sounds so delicious.