OOO
t

26/07/2008


my photo

GAURA

One of my most favourite plants in the garden is Gaura lindheimeri, Whirling Butterflies.

Gaura means superb, and this plant truly is. Flowers appearing along delicate stems in succession throughout the summer. In fact it goes on for months and needs no deadheading!

This plant is great for filling gaps in preferably well-drained soil, although mine seems to like a little mulch around the roots. It is a native plant of Texas and Mexico, where it is plentiful. It needs a good space and in my garden I have allowed for a two foot spread and height, although this is only approximate.


7 comments:

Christy Amular said...

I love those delicate white blossoms! happy to visit your lovely patch once again. :)

Glo said...

I can see how they came by their name ~ lovely. I'm not familiar with them, so must check to see if there are any here. Thanks :)

Anonymous said...

What a lovely looking flower, which I've added to my list! xx

Marie said...

One of my favourites, too, :-); such a light texture and the bees love it.

Threadspider said...

And one of my favourites, for the same reasons as Marie.

BumbleVee said...

Louise, do you think this could be related to a tall flower called Fireweed? the flowers look very similar... mine is just a weed from roadside...but very pretty and I always let a few grow in my fern garden in the shady spot at the side of the house. I have to pick them out before they go to seed as they do proliferate... but I wanted to keep a few as they are so lovely...

Lavinia said...

A low maintenance beauty! These have a delicate orchid like grace to them....very lovely.