OOO
t

27/07/2008


my photos

SUMMER SUNSHINE

The hottest day of the year so far - 31 degrees. It may not sound a big deal to some of you living in the parts of the world you do, but for here in the UK, after the summer experienced so far, this temperature is positively tropical!

One of three plants basking in the summer sunshine today is Coreopsis grandiflora Mayfield Giant which can tolerate dry conditions, and flowers on and on, although does need deadheading to keep flowering to its maximum potential.



The first marigold of the year. These came out of a mixed pack of annuals given to me by a friend, sown late so only just starting to produce flowers. I always start the seeds off in pots and then transplant to where I choose in the garden. This year I have planted on into wooden troughs, facing east. When in containers water when necessary.



Nasturtium, one half of the variety St Clements, which is happy to be in dry soil. A lovely mix of yellow and orange, zingy citrus colours. Perfect for brightening up a salad and your day!


16 comments:

Suzanne said...

That weather sounds beautiful to me, I am dreaming of warm summer. The yellow flowers against the green give the lovely sunshiney feel.

walter and me said...

All this lovely zingy colours are brightening up my monday morning!

Christy Amular said...

Ohhhhh i just love those vibrant yellows! so happy and sunshiney.

hope you enjoy the warm weather! i'm stuck with 32 degrees weather all year long, i wish sometimes it can get much cooler! ;-)

Marie said...

It's so nice to see nasturtiums...pretty colour.

My mom used to have me chew a leaf if I had a sore throat (usually she knew I was pretending to have a sore throat, to avoid school)- the leaves are antibiotic. They are good on sandwiches with some cheddar and pickled onions, :-), too.

The Dutchess said...

A very shiny flower,i love the warm yellow.You can eat this beautiful flower..didn't know that!
Hot day in Holland..31 degrees!

life in red shoes said...

OK Louise, let's talk heat! I was away for a few days, the temp rose to 105, I came home to CRISPY PLANTS!

ginny farquhar said...

so cheery and sunny... it's been a scorcher here today!
x ginny x

Anonymous said...

It's way to warm for me!
I do like yellow flowers. xx

Rhondi said...

Hi Louise
I love the sunny yellow flowers you've shown us. My garden is looking very sad, a few things blooming here and there but definitely suffering fornm the heat. Glad to hear tyou're getting some summer weather . A friend of mine is in London and then the Lake district this week, so maybe she'll see the sun!
Don't know what kind of spider it is.
Happy gardening.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

ooh, We were 93F today, which is I think about the same as you in centigrade! A little too hot for me, and certainly for Edward. I do love the photos of the flowers in your garden. Such beautiful color!

Anonymous said...

It has been lovely to feel some heat in the sun - after the summer we have had so far.
Lovely sunny photos.
Karen
An Artists Garden

Naturegirl said...

Lovley hot colors! I love edible plants..I always care for pansies in the shaded area of garden just for decorating deserts.Your nasturtiams are natures insect repellent.Good to plant near roses.We have been having a summer of RAIN and more RAIN!

Suburbia said...

All those yellows brighten any day (now the sun has gone)!!

Glo said...

A lovely golden post to celebrate the sunshine :)

Sal said...

The plants you chose are very cheering! ;-)

Lavinia said...

Beautiful sunshiny colours!