OOO
t

27/08/2008


my photo

ACHILLEA PTARMICA (THE PEARL)

A favourite of Edwardian garden designer Gertrude Jekyll. Especially lovely in evening light.

A main stem, with branching stems carrying white button-like flowers and small dark green toothed leaves. Tolerant of most soils and aspects, in my garden doing especially well in moist, sandy soil. This vigorous plant spreads by underground suckers and will quite happily romp through a large area, so be warned. After a long flowering season from June to October, the plant can be cut back to ground level.

A perennial with medicinal properties, good for cutting and using either fresh or dried, and is a great alternative to Gypsophila (baby's breath).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely
warm regards
Karen - An Artist's Garden

Simone said...

Very pretty. It looks more substantial than Gypsophila.

HAWTHORN HALL said...

How Beautiful it is. I have never heard of it and would like to get some for my garden.

Gillian

Anonymous said...

Louise, these are magnificent! I don't think I've ever seen achillea like this before!

Anonymous said...

Louise you are so wise!
It's a beautiful bloom...

Lavinia said...

So fluffy-pretty!

Little Blue Violet said...

Oh I love the Pearl...used to have it before I oved...mine really spread ....so pretty....you must have every flower under the son in your garden!
smiles
DarLy*~